In the event that you should know me.
1. Don’t call me baby. My dad calls me baby.
2. I watch nature documentaries like some people read the bible. I pray to mountains, snowflakes, and bats. I worship waterfalls.
3. Antarctica was covered in towering forests 100 million years ago. Me, too.
4. Handle my fossils delicately. Read my bones. Piece me back together, fill in the gaps with plaster, but do not display me.
5. I am a beetle. I am a cloud formation. I am a stalactite. Do not contradict me.
6. I will always listen to my mother.
7. I was a dog once. It felt lonely, and I was fascinated by the moon.
8. If I wanted to give in to my desire to be miserable, my whole body would be off limits.
9. My poetry is not a gift. I will never scrawl one in your birthday card. My poetry is a ghost of me at 8 years old, crying, with her head under the covers.
10. Kiss my neck when presented with the opportunity.
11. If we meet a grizzly bear, I will not be running away.
12. Hold my arm while we walk down the street, not my hand. Remove your hat when you bow to me. Kiss my knuckles. Ask permission for an embrace.
13. I am a lady, you had better act like a gentleman.
14. If you’re wondering what I want, it’s a plane ticket to Peru or 12 crystals in different shades of pink or a still hand over my chaotic heart.
15. Animals are often soft beneath their shells.
16. My life is a suicide note with the length not yet determined.
17. When it rains, I want you to touch me.
18. Crocodiles often drown their prey before they eat it.
19. I am a mother to silence.
20. If I am painting, do not speak.
21. If I am crying over the beauty of a color I mixed on my palette, do not laugh.
22. If I am crying, do not laugh.
23. If I am crying, do not laugh.
by Amanda La Valley